You can help to raise a Guide Dog with PETstock thanks to their charity foundation, PETstock Assist.
Each year the organisation aims to raise $50,000 in one month for Guide Dogs Australia to support the training that will help puppies become life changing Guide Dogs.
In their most recent June campaign, with the support of customers, PETstock team members and retail partners, including ADVANCE, PAW by Blackmores, KONG Company and NexGard, the $50,000 goal was exceeded to reach $56,000 to help raise a Guide Dog and provide additional funds to support further work of Guide Dogs Australia.
It is estimated there are 450,000 Australians who are blind or have low vision, so the PETstock Raise a Guide Dog Change a Life campaign helps raise the amount required to breed, raise, train, and match a suitable Guide Dog with a person with blindness or low vision.
Guide Dogs Australia National Corporate Partnerships Manager, Caroline Lee, says donations such as this allow Guide Dogs Australia to continue their work supporting people with blindness and low vision to lead safe and independent lives, as Guide Dogs Australia relies heavily on donations from the community to help fund the majority of their work.
How you can help
- Round up your purchase online or instore to make a donation to PETstock Assist – every bit makes a difference.
- Donate to PETstock Assist online or via donation boxes instore nationally.
- Purchase specially marked PETstock Assist products.
About Guide Dog training
- It takes almost two years and more than $50,000 to breed, raise, train and place one Guide Dog.
Guide Dogs in public – what you need to know
- A person with a Guide Dog in harness is legally allowed access in all public places and can go anywhere.
- When working in harness, a Guide Dog should not be touched, fed or distracted from guiding its handler – remember, they’re hard at work! Interacting with a Guide Dog can detract from their work.
- Avoid grabbing a person with a Guide Dog or the dog’s harness. First, ask the person if they need assistance.
For more information on raising funds, sponsoring a pup, or volunteering visit: www.guidedogsaustralia.com/get-involved/.
To learn how Guide Dogs Australia help change lives read our blog here.
 Vision 2020 Australia: https://www.vision2020australia.org.au/our-work/eye-health-snapshot/