Halloween can trigger anxiety and stress in pets, while all of those tasty treats can put your dog at risk, so here’s some Halloween pet safety tips from PETstock VET Dr Sasha Nefedova to help keep them safe and sound.
- Sweets and chocolate strictly for human trick-or-treaters and can be toxic to pets. Contact your vet immediately if you suspect your pet has raided the are candy bowl meant for humans. For more pet toxic foods click here.
- For some pets, wearing a Halloween themed costume may cause undue stress. Always ensure outfits do not limit their movement, sight or airways. Remove accessories that could present a choking hazard and ensure the outfit is worn for short periods only under strict supervision. If your pet shows signs of stress or abnormal behaviour remove immediately.
- Keep edible decorations like candy, tinsel, lit candles or pumpkin lights out of reach to avoid food toxicity, fire hazards or electric shock.
- Create a safe environment for your pet to have some alone time away from trick-or-treaters knocking on the door throughout the day or night.
- Ensure your pet’s microchip details are up to date to ensure their safe return in case they get spooked by strangers and run away.
Other Halloween pet safety tips include keeping them busy and out of harm’s way, so here’s some pawsome dog toys that can help keep them occupied while the humans are out having fun.
Lexi & Me Rubber Toy Treat Ball RRP $8.99
If you’re looking for something to keep your pooch busy when the spooky trick-or-treaters come knocking, the Lexi & Me Rubber Toy Treat Ball will provide the perfect distraction. Featuring a hollow centre that allows pet parents to stuff with snacks or other small treats, the enriching ball encourages active play and provides dogs with good mental and physical stimulation.
Nerf Spike Ball 3.5 inch RRP $17.99
After being spoiled with (some) Halloween treats, The NERF Spike Ball will work to keep your dog’s teeth squeaky clean and maintain gum health. Molded with durable thermoplastic rubber, the toy can withstand extended, tough chewing. If you’re a savvy pet parent that prefers to combine tricks and treats, add some of your dog’s favourite sticky food to the toy such as peanut butter for further enticement.
Petlife Self Warming Throw Mat Dog Bed RRP $99.99
To help relax your dog, why not give them the comfy Petlife Self Warming Throw Mat to lay on in a quite room. Made from a special material that traps and reflects your dog’s body temperature, it will keep them warm and provide comfort on hard flooring, making it a practical yet festive addition to any dog-loving household.