Take Your Dog to Work Day
Take Your Dog to Work Day is taking place on Friday 21st June 2019 not just in Australia but around the world!
Pet Sitters International (PSI) created Take Your Dog To Work Day in 1999 to celebrate the great companion’s dogs make and to importantly to promote their adoptions. The aim is to encourage employers to experience the joys of pets in the workplace for one day to support their local pet communities.
How to get involved?
Employers are asked to open their businesses to pet dogs to promote the many benefits of pet ownership and encourage animal adoption. Numerous studies have proven that dogs in the workplace have some positive benefits for employee productivity and well-being.
You can download PSI’s Take Your Dog to Work Dat toolkit here, or alternatively read our tips below.
- Check with your organisation and colleagues to see if bringing your dog to work is appropriate and safe. Some work environments may not be suitable for your dog as they’re not safe for dogs.
- Ensure your dog is microchipped and is up to date with vaccinations.
- Pack your dogs bed, a water bowl, some food and a toy.
- Set up your pooch for the day at your desk, let them say hi to the office but make it clear where their space is for the day (have treat’s handy for this). This may mean tethering the dog to ensure your dog doesn’t wander or get hurt.
- Don’t forget about toilet breaks for your pooch and remember to take your dog for a good walk or walks throughout the day (beneficial for you and your dog!)
Don’t have a dog?
This day also accommodates cat lovers (and other pets) and those who cannot participate at Take Your Dog to Work Day. The entire week leading up to the event, June 17-21, is Take Your Pet To Work Week and Monday, June 17, is Take Your Cat To Work Day!
For some lucky employees and their dogs, bringing your pet to work is already a reality but if not, use today to shine and show your organisation how wonderful it is to have a furry friend in the office from time to time.
Find out more here: www.petsit.com